Earlier all the websites were built through text and static HTML, but nowadays the websites have become complex with increased richer experiences for the creators and also for the visitors. WordPress plays a major role in website creation these days. WordPress provides you with the latest and advanced website with the help of its various plugins and functionalities. WordPress website creation doesn’t require any coding, not even HTML.
But as of today, there are still many websites that prefer HTML to WordPress theme for having a website. There may be two reasons for having an HTML site instead of a WordPress site, which are:
- There is no change in the website content and already have a serviceable design
- The stress of maintaining and regularly updating a WordPress website is too much work
These are the two basic reasons for not having a WordPress website. But there can be one more reason which is, lack of knowledge regarding how to convert an HTML website into a WordPress website, without losing any data and content. Well, we have the solution to this problem.
Let’s discuss certain things that should be kept into consideration before converting your website.
What are the options available for you?
Converting your website from HTML to WordPress theme website is based on certain preferences of the website owner such as desired time or investment, available coding skill level, etc. There are three options for converting a website from HTML to WordPress, which are:
- Creating a WordPress theme based on your current HTML website, manually
- Install a pre-made WordPress theme and then migrate your content
- Hire a WordPress development company to convert your HTML website to WordPress
Things to be included in the plan to convert your website
Make a list of what you will need for your new website, what you need to transfer from your current website, how you want your new website to look, etc. All these points will decide the look and functioning of your new website. Let’s see what all preparations you are required to make before the conversion of the website:
- Reorganize the existing content on your website
- Choose the right web hosting as per the requirements of your website
- Plan the structure of your new website
- Keep a proper track of all the SEO changes
- Prepare a list of contact forms and track the spams
- Pick the required theme for your website
- Prepare back up of your websites
- Check the security status and issues
- Deal with the broken links on the website
- Go live after making sure everything is sorted
How to convert your website to WordPress?
Following are the steps that you will need to follow for your website conversion from HTML to WordPress:
- Setting-up WordPress: The first thing that you need to do is set-up WordPress. You can install it locally or you can even seek services of your hosting provider. Most of the web hosts have a 1-click installation option after you install WordPress. Make sure that you have disabled the search engines from indexing your website till it is under development.
- Content importing: Once you have successfully installed WordPress, the next step will be to import the content from your old website to the new WordPress website. It is a bit tricky step but you can still do it on your own. In case your HTML website was running on a CMS that is commercially available, then you will have an importing tool to import the content. After importing the content, you will have to do some reformating. If you are importing the content manually, you will have to create some corresponding WordPress pages first and also upload images and other files.
- Designing your website: Once the content is available on WordPress, you need to give your website the look you want. Change your theme, your design, and everything to make it look nice. You can simply install any free theme available or customize your own theme, as you want.
- Install the required plugins: Once you are done with your theme and designs for the website, there are some necessary plugins that you need to install in order to make your website smooth to use and run. WordPress provides many top-notch plugins to serve its purpose. The plugins are both free and paid, offering you various functionalities. Some of the essential plugins for any website are:
- Yoast SEO
- Akismet anti-spam
- W3 Total cache
- WP Smush
- Sassy Social Share
- Google XML sitemap
- Elementor page builder
- Monster Insights
- Broken link checker
Make sure that you install these plugins from a trusted and reputable source to protect your website from spams and hacks
- Redirect links in WordPress: Before making any website live, it is compulsory to make sure that all the links are working properly. Broken links can lead to poor user experience and harming the website reach. Use redirection plugins to check if all the links are redirected to the desired page.
- Point domain to the new website: After putting so much effort in converting your website, make your that your domain leads to the new WordPress website. Keep your name servers updated so that the users come to the right website, otherwise, all the effort will lay waste.
- Final check: Before going live, review all the pages, content, design, links, etc. to make sure that everything is working fine. Once you are satisfied with the new WordPress website, Go Live.
WordPress provides the best experience for websites and is very easy to use as well. Keep yourself updated, migrate your website to WordPress, and enjoy the benefits offered by it. Just make sure that you take care of all the necessary points and steps while conversion for achieving the desired results.